22 August 2012

You're not who I want

I'm never the one they want.  Such is the life of a nanny. I'm never the one whose presence calms a cry or dries a tear.  My hugs are the ones that cause more tears and squirms to get free, to get to mom or dad.  
Don't get me wrong though, I look forward to my days with the boys, the triumphant yells when they figure something out on their own or with my guidance...
These are "The Little Men Three" the boys I nanny full-time.  We have been at their beach house in Long Beach Island, New Jersey for the most of August.  The parents both work from the beach house for the month and I spend the days with the boys.  The older ones 7 years and 5 years old went to the yacht club morning camp for the first few weeks.  The littlest one and I spent the mornings together walking around the neighborhood, biking the streets, going to the park and throwing rocks into the water.  We even took on a monsoon at the beach, yes the one day I decided to go to the beach alone with him we were caught in a monsoon... the older two enjoyed the story of how their baby brother  flew around like a kite in the wind was almost blown away by the storm (I tell a good tall tale).    
Bee and I "say cheeeese", "ceeeeese"

Brendan and I spend the most time together which, I guess leads to the trauma of being put down for a nap by me and not mom.
a bandaid for the boo boo
 I have been complimented by their parents and others for my patience and ability to distract him when he is distraught or nearing a break down.
My favorite moment was at the beach when his dad asked "Bee, do you want to jump waves with me?"
not three seconds later a wave took out Bee, complete wipe out! I picked him up without a word and pointed to the loud motor boat passing out in front of us.
"Look at the BOOAT!" I exclaimed and crouched down next to him pointing out the boat from his line of sight.
"Boah, Boah, boah" he murmured.  I laughed and looked at his dad who was shaking his head and laughing at the irony of the moment.


Bee tromping around the yacht club

Luu and LaLa "stick 'em up" showing off their new Texas Ranger hats
 What really drew me into this family was the parent involvement.  They are and want to remain part of their boys lives even though they work full-time. One of the main qualities they were looking for in a nanny were disciple and manners.  "We want respectful and well mannered boys, they are already for the most part but we don't want that lost."
I guess for me, some of the best moments have been hearing Luu tell how "AMAZING" his day (with me) has been.  Going to the Natural History Museum to see the Dinosaurs, the National Navy Museum to see the Submarines, Luu would be walking around and look back at me and declare, "this is awesome Miss Wendy".
LaLa, the oldest, was given the opportunity to participate with the older kids from the Yacht Club camp.  Every year the kids swim from High Island to the yacht club, its approximately a 500 yard swim in the bay.  LaLa was visibly nervous about accepting the offer when I mentioned I would swim with him if he'd like.  He warmed up to the idea and even after the whole group was dropped off at High Island and about to swim he was nervous.  With his lifejacket and a paddle board he swam the entire length with only a boat ride to make up for the currents pull.
He was continuously offered a pull from one of the many parents on kayaks but turned them down time after time.  We swam next to one another and talked the whole time.  He did an amazing job and was quite proud of himself as well.
selling lemonade around the bay
 I do appreciate the moments when their mom passes the sleepy fussy baby off to me and says "its been thirty minutes of this [crying] and I have to get work done before the hour".  I walk in and have him soundly snoozing in under five minutes.  What gets me is the sleeping baby moments, the quiet relaxed moments when the baby or one of the boys is sleeping in my arms and its only after a struggle and cries for mom.
I know I'm not the one you want and I never will be but when I have my own little one I will be exactly what he wants.  My kisses will heal all boo-boos, my hug will calm and sleepy wimper and I will be the one, the puck will stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment