22 August 2012

Sandy, Sunny and Salty Summer

This summer has been many things, sandy sunny and salty can describe most of it. I began the summer with a drive down to see Gordon and Jackie in May. Mom and the brother are still experiencing tension here and there but it was a wonderful time with the babies nonetheless.
Mom ran off to Africa soon there after and in true Byrd fashion Gordon shot over to China.
At this point We were pretty much set to take over the world, mom and sister in Africa, Gordon and Jackie in Eurasia. All the while Dad and I were here on the east coast (I strategically covered the Northeast coastline), Meredyth and Ian had the mid/south/west in their grasp.
Of course, Dad and Sally could have bounced down to South America if need be.

As May was upon us I enjoyed a long weekend across the water from Yorktown, VA on a nanny "vacation". I watched the 6-month old as the parents went kayaking and touring through Yorktown and The Jamestown Settlement.
Very excited to begin his first vacation ever.








From there I hopped down to experience my first Airborne jump, meaning I was the lucky duck who treated my 1SG and a new CPT after a less than perfect landing. Nearly 8 hours in the hospital and an ankle "relocation" contributed to 28+ hours awake, working and not eating nearly enough (it's the eating part that gets me).
Then over to Richmond where I stomped around town with dad and Sally...
A Virginia Beach trip (twice to be exact) one of which was full of chilly evenings and windy days, not to outshine the amazing Art Show.
Whew... Then what?
Oh, Maine!
Brother Dunstan and I
OH! Maine!!
Fresh Lobster!
First I met my namesake Brother Dunstan, in Long Island.  From Long Island it was Massachusetts, Rockport to be exact.  The views, the people, oh and not enough can be said about the Lobstah.  From Rockport I hopped up to Bar Harbor, did a handstand on the rocks then headed to Lubec, Maine.
Light house, Just before sunrise

West Quoddy Head Light
Lubec is the most Easternmost town in the United States.  Julia is in Africa so I decided to watch the sunrise from the Easternmost point in the US, the West Quoddy Head Light.  Sunrise was at 3:44 am, which was 9:44 am in Gaborone, Botswana so regardless of the cloudy skies in Botswana that morning, Julia sent the sun to me.
3:44:45 am June 22, 2012, Lubec, Maine
After Lubec and touring around the surrounding area I headed to Boston, MA in order to go to Fenway.  The game didn't happen but great beer, lots of laughs and a soaking wet hour spent waiting in line was well worth the trip.  Rockport also warranted a second visit.  My trip was amazing and everyone loves the pictures and stories, then asks, "why did you decide to go to Maine?".   
Truthfully I just wanted to go and I when I had the opportunity I took it.  Good times were had by all I encountered and I will be taking another trip Down East in my future for sure.  

The summer is not over though and more beach trips 

No comments:

Post a Comment