28 August 2010

Pride.


...I don't really own anything here in Kabul

My schedule=General's Schedule
My work hours= IJC hours
My roommates=assigned
My clothes=issued
My free time= sleep

the only thing I have in Afghanistan is my truck and my weapon. so I take pride in what I have and as far as my truck goes she sparkles. Well, she stays clean. as clean as possible here. I have purchased cleaning supplies (Purchased, as in my money, mind you)
So whenever I have a chance...its cleaning time.
Clean water is a commodity and a luxury I do no have on my post. So I must travel for clean water. Traveling requires that my schedule takes me there... luckily the boss has meetings at clean water locations! So here I am with my "sit and wait" hour. Cleaning my LandCruiser :)

I think its therapeutic. Having something that is mine, my responsibility, something to show off.

She gets a sudsy wash and I by now I have it down.

Ok no i don't. I pretty much make a mess of myself and get the truck clean but the end result is a clean truck.



Afghans don't ride around in filthy vehicles, their vehicle is a huge investment and they keep their vehicles clean and running. So a dirty vehicle sticks out on the streets and that is not what I want when my vehicle is protection for myself and others.  My vehicle is already a foreign object on the streets, a foreign object that is not necessarily welcome by everyone so I must do my best to help it blend in and not become a target.  So here is to sparkling clean and safe trucks!

Cheers


By the end she looks amazing


My Pride in Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment