28 August 2010

10 minute stow away trip

The Commanding General's Military assistant is great! She stopped by our office one night and I was able to put a bug in her ear that I'd love to stow away on one of the bosses trips.
"I'll see what I can do, I can't make any promises though"
"Roger Ma'am, if it works out that will be awesome, if not I completely understand"

Friday afternoon my boss told me the General's MA wanted to see me, "they have room on the bird". (i.e. I GET TO GO ON A TRIP)
i joyfully made my way to see the wonderful Colonel. She told the Aides to put me on the manifest.
"Byrd worked for Col Creighton for a year and it would be great to let her get out, especially to see COL C" -MA
"BYRD!! What are you doing? Get in here, eat some food!" -LTG Rodriguez offering me some of his huge snack stash.
They put me on the manifest and Saturday morning I was up and ready to go.

Right away there was trouble. comments like
"I have been trying to get ahold of anyone I could" -Pilot
"Air Strike"
"Who have you talked to?" -Aide

The most important piece of equipment a General's Aid has is his contact list. The phone calls began... there were secret conversations, people standing and talking away from the crowd...
all the signs of worry were out. wrinkled eyebrows and low phone calls and walking quickly in and out of doors...

So we sat around and waited for the worst. and laughed at mangled planes from the 40s headed to the runway.
"Only running on 3 engines, that must be reassuring for the passengers"
"you think it flies or just drives up and down the run way?"
Then the Aide ran by...that means trouble, and he was RUNNING!

"ok everybody, here's the deal....wait a minute", aide (walks away) (comes back) Here's whats going on....
the bottom line is everybody is scratched"

relief among the group...ok well...oh well.

better luck for us next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment