14 September 2010

Reader

I have never been a big reader. Julia and, certainly my English Lit major older sister (Master's actually), Meredyth are the readers. Dad and my sisters will have long discussions of, say, the literary contributions, the writing style and ease of read, the impact said book had on them, the impact on the world by said book, will be discussed... this is the best way to shut me up as I have no relevant or working knowledge of any such topics along the lines of Literature... and so I quickly listen and then bore.

recently my Canadian SGM (senior enlisted in Canadian Army) told me about STANZA for iPod Touch. my eyes widened as i held onto a 5lb hardcover copy of "The Assassins" by Joyce Carol Oates (i use the full title and author so i beat the name and author in my head, in an attempt to quote my triumphant Literary read, later in life)

Stanza eh?? Free App you say?? Free books eh? Classics as well no doubt... i don't have to drop almost $200 to fit in with the eBooks crowd! I could get used to this. no more forgetting my book somewhere or not bringing it b/c its too heavy (JOYCE Carol Oates !) i'm in!!

so i downloaded Stanza and researched on how to upload and download books... and browsed eShelf after eShelf... I now have a collection of
Classics and other "i like the sounds of that author's name...i'll get it" books. as well as a few "great excerpt, i'll get it" books... and don't for get the "I've heard of that" books..


yes I have even begun reading. "Alice in Wonderland by (let me check)
Lewis Carroll" unabridged i might add.
The way he adds in and portrays her quirky thoughts and talking to herself... its a page turner, or should i say an "iPod tapper" since of course there are no pages to turn...


Dear Stanza,
you may in fact make a read out of me.
Literarily,
Wendy


Whats on your eBookshelf?
The Case Against Wagner was one Nietzsche's last books, and his wittiest. (the "wittiest" comment got me, its on my shelf)

Gentleman Burglar--how can i resist?

Meredyth and Julia have spoken of Madame Bovary -- guess its my turn now. hopefully they spoke of it highly, haha i don't remember. well i can't sit around here typing all day i've got to get back to the authors.

Please let me know of any great reads i need to include!
if you have an iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch check out STANZA, you can find it by a quick iTunes Store search or browse. (don't forget its FREE)
then try FictionWise.com and EPUBBooks.com ("ePub" is the format of eBooks for the Stanza)

Happy reading -- thats my self-motivation. i'm off to read now!

1 comment:

  1. But will it make you a better speller? haha, just kidding. It will.
    I'm so glad you're reading _Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_ by Lewis Carroll (I almost added Oates to that!). I read it for the first time last spring and really enjoyed it. I also read a good book called _Alice I Have Been_ about Alice Liddell, who inspired the story you read. It was QUALITY.
    As far as _Madame Bovary_ is concerned... I like the author, Flaubert, but I read the book in high school and hated it at the time. My perspective might change but I haven't attempted to change it yet. I hope you like it because then I might re-read it. Oh, and the reason I'm doing the underscoring? It's my MA talking. You italicize book titles and put articles, poems, short stories in quotation marks. But since you can't italicize under this thing the underscore indicates it. Okay, enough MA BS. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete